Consider this article a guide on how to hire a good plasterer. Whether you’re looking to plaster an entire house or just a few rooms, knowing the basics will help you decide if the work is even worth it.
We’ll assist in how to find a good plasterer, the questions to ask them and how much they might charge. To ensure you’re dealing with a reputable professional, here are a few tips to find an honest, reliable and competitive plasterer in your local area.
Signs of a good plasterer & high quality plastering work
- With walling, it is necessary to look for trowel marks or rough patches. To ensure the appearance of the wall is as smooth as possible, a good decorator will iron out any blemishes before they paint over them.
- Watch out for the finishes carried out. The finishing touches are important and can make the difference between a seemingly flat, shabby plaster wall and a beautifully finished smooth surface.
- Check for any excessive cracks or wall crazing.
- Look for signs of cracking at the joints of the wall or ceiling. It would indicate that these joints have not been properly taped. If plasterers have used paper-based tapes, it’s a sign of poor quality plastering.
- If examining fresh undecorated plaster, check how smooth the surface is by rubbing it against the back of your hand. A smoother surface indicates a good plastering job.
Tips to hire a good plasterer
If you are looking for a good plasterer, here are some tips on how to find the best one.
1. Get recommendations from family and friends
Rather than spending hours on the phone trying to find a plasterer, tap into your network. Talk to friends, family, and neighbours who have hired their own plasterer. They’ll be able to provide you with valuable information such as what type of plasterer they used, whether they were satisfied with the work they performed, and if they’d recommend them to others.
2. Post your requirement on local community groups
Asking friends, family and acquaintances is a good first step in finding a quality plasterer. If they don’t know of any, try looking online but make sure you check their social proof and reviews.
Local online community groups are an excellent way of finding good tradespeople to help you with home improvements. You simply post a request asking for plasterers in your area, and you will be shown reviews of the best ones available.
Many social media platforms like Facebook have specific groups for individual communities that allow users to post queries and recommendations about products and services. You can search for your area and ask for recommendations on local plasterers this way.
3. Learn some basics on plastering
For any job, it’s always easier to deal with any expert if you understand the basic principles of their work, and what you need from them. Do some research into the job that you’re asking them to do so that you’re one step ahead when you start contacting local plasterers.
Here’s a blog post we wrote called a beginners guide to plastering a wall you can read.
4. Find out how the job is carried out
To ensure you hire a good plasterer for your project, it’s important to discuss with them the best preparation techniques and methods they will use to achieve the results you’re aiming for. Do your research and ask your potential plasterer to explain the steps they’ll take, what they expect to achieve, and the tools they’ll use.
5. Choose a plasterer with years of experience
A good plastering job depends mainly on the skill and knowledge of the craftsmen, who may have formal qualifications in the trade. However, it is experience, the type of work done, and whether all the necessary tools and materials are supplied that really show the professional from an amateur.
The most important thing you need to do when looking for a plasterer is to ensure they have the right amount of experience. The more experience they have, the more likely they are to complete your project successfully and in a timely manner.
Qualifications are also an indication of the quality of their work as well as their commitment to providing excellent service while doing the job. If a plasterer has City & Guilds or NVQ qualifications, it means that their level of skill and ability is recognised by one of the most reputable awarding bodies for skills in the UK.
6. Check plasterer reviews and ratings
A good way to get an idea of where to find plasterer specialists is by reading customer reviews from previous clients. These reviews will allow you to research the best local services for your home, along with their abilities and professionalism.
For example, check out our plastering customer reviews here.
7. Request a free plastering quote
In order to hire a good plasterer in your area, you need to request multiple quotes as this will give you the opportunity to compare different price options. On top of cost, you also need to consider experience, skill level and overall quality of workmanship. By requesting multiple quotes from different tradesmen you will be able to make an informed decision about who you would like to hire.
At Ralph Plastering, we provide free plastering quotes based on your requirements. Our quotations are completely transparent with no hidden costs. Get in touch with us for a free consultation and we will be more than happy to attend to your request.
You can also read our blog which has even more articles on plastering covering various topics.